Dramatically positioned on its hill overlooking the River Ogmore and town of Bridgend, is Newcastle, dominating the surrounding area like a brooding giant. The castle was first mentioned in 1106 and marked the western limits of Robert Fitzhamon’s conquests. The remains we see today; were erected about 1180s, possibly by King Henry II.
The remains include parts of the curtain wall and two mural towers, but the best-preserved feature is the gateway, a fine specimen of Norman ornamental stonework. Grade II* listed building.