In the heart of the capital city is Cardiff Castle, a truly remarkable site with a history that spans over 2000 years. Roman soldiers slept here, noble knights held court here, and the Bute family, with extraordinary wealth and vision, transformed the Castle into a romantic Victorian fantasy. ‘Eccentric genius’ architect William Burges was given free rein to create the amazingly lavish and opulent interiors; each breathtaking room rich with murals, stained glass, gilding and superb craftsmanship. Recent developments include the opening of the Wartime Shelters, an evocative re-creation of a bygone era when the Castle’s tunnels were used as a place of refuge during the Second World War air raids.
For an alternative night out, book a traditional Welsh Banquet for your family, friends or office. This is a relaxed and fun evening of Welsh food, wine and music, in either the 15th century Undercroft or the Interpretation Centre. Please book in advance on 029 2087 8100 Your daytime visit to Cardiff Castle includes:
• Interpretation Centre with exhibition and film presentation
• A selection of the magnificent Castle Apartments or upgrade to a Premium Tour (extra charge) to see more of the wonderful interiors
• The Norman Keep
• Magnificent walkways around the Castle Battlements
• Wartime Shelters
• Firing Line: Cardiff Castle Museum of the Welsh Soldier
• Free audio guide
• Free guided tours of the Wartime Shelters or Norman Keep
• Gift shop and café A Family Friendly Visit…
• Stay and play area with hands-on art and craft activities, puppet theatre and child sized costumes
• Family trail booklet full of quizzes and questions
• Free children’s audio guide
• Buggy parking
• Baby changing facilities
• Food and milk warming service in café
• Children’s meals
• Highchair in café
Cardiff Castle Season Ticket – Up-grade your admission ticket on the day for £5 (Adults) and £3 (Children) and get free admission to the Castle for 12 months plus a host of other benefits. Visitors will need to up-grade their tickets on the day. Ask at the Castle Ticket Office on 029 2087 8100 or visit www.cardiffcastle.com .
Also If you live or work in Cardiff you can apply for a Castle Key which gives free entry to the Castle for 3 years. There is an administration charge of £5 to join the Castle Key scheme. This is to cover the cost of cards, equipment and staff. The scheme will be free for children and Cardiff Council Max Active Card Holders.